Date: 19th August 2018 at 12:12pm
Written by:
Sheffield United
2 – 1
Norwich City

Bramall Lane

SkyBet Championship

18/08/2018 3:00 pm

Sheffield United Norwich City
Egan 9, Sharp 90+2 Rhodes 26
Henderson Krul
Freeman 61 Lewis
Egan Hanley
O'Connell Marshall
Stevens Trybull
Norwood Tettey 90+1
Fleck Hernandez
Woodburn 46 Leitner 79
Sharp 90+4 Pukki
Clarke Rhodes


61 Godfrey 90+1
Leaonard 46 Srbeny 87
Stearman 90+4 Stiepermann 79
Lafferty Aarons
Lavery McGovern
Lundstram Thompson
Moore Zimmermann

Game Statistics

14 Goal attempts 11
5 On Target 2
9 Corners 4
15 Fouls 7
2 Yellow Cards 2
0 Red Cards 0
52 % 48

Sheffield United left it until the bitter end, scoring in additional injury-time to score the winner which beat Norwich City 2-1 yesterday.

Goals flew in the first half as defender John Egan headed the Blades in front but the Canaries responded through on-loan Sheffield Wednesday striker Jordan Rhodes. Chances were missed in the second half for both sides and inside the three minutes of stoppage time allotted, skipper Billy Sharp netted his third consecutive goal of the season.

Chris Wilder opted to hand Oliver Norwood and Ban Woodburn their full league debuts after the pair impressed in the Carabao Cup defeat to Hull City the previous Tuesday. Defender Richard Stearman dropped to the bench and Mark Duffy missed out through illness.

From the kick-off, United got off to the brighter start and created the first real opportunity in front of goal. From a throwing Woodburn slotted into a good position but his drag back to Sharp was cut out and landed out to safety for a corner.

Moments later O’Connell sensationally won two tackles on the half-way line and Woodburn won another corner on the right. The delivery from Norwood was superb as he purposely floated the ball onto the edge of the area with Fleck waiting unchallenged. The Scot controlled before unleashing a low drilled effort which whisked narrowly wide of Tim Krul’s goal.

United went ahead in the ninth minute. After Norwood saw his effort cannon over the top and out for a corner. The newly signed midfielder produced a deep delivery and EGAN rose highest to head at goal. The ball was seemingly headed off the line but referee Bond took one look at his watch, and via the aid of goal-line technology, a goal was given and replay showed the ball had indeed crossed the line.

In response Norwich attacked the Blades goal for the first time and Pukki’s sliced effort flew into the Kop. On 23 minutes the visitors came close to scoring as Rhodes ducked into unmarked space from Marshall’s corner but somehow put is header wide.

Three minutes later they were level as they broke down the left, Pukki found Hernandez in the box. He held the ball firm, turned Basham and is square ball was fired home by RHODES from close range.

With the scores level it was anyone’s to take, and United almost re-took the lead but an excellent stop from Dutch International Krul denied Clarke from three yards out. Woodburn had done well on the right and his cross found Clarke unmarked. He did everything right but the former Newcastle stopper somehow saved his effort.

Half-Time: Sheffield United 1-1 Norwich City

Chris Wilder opted to make a change at half-time with Woodburn being sacrificed for Ryan Leonard, who produced a good second half display. Now firing towards the famous Kop United began the second half much like the first and the early exchanges of this half saw Krul forced into a reaction save at the far post, after Norwood’s deep cross from a free-kick found O’Connell and his not so action like over head kick was o target but saved brilliantly.

At the other end, Leitner’s corner saw Klose head wide at the far post.

David McGoldrick replaced Kieron Freeman after the hour mark which saw brought a change in formation as United slipped into a unrecognisable 4-4-2 system, using the diamond formation in the middle.

The new formation took the players some getting used to and at times looked flat and lost. They were almost made to pay on 65 minutes when the assistant referee failed to spot a City player offside as they attacked three versus one in visitors favour. Leithner was the one who took responsibility as he ran at goal and with odds dramatically against him Henderson rushed off his line to keep the opposition out and United quickly cleared the loose ball.

United were let off again moments later as Hanley’s knock down saw Rhodes hit the post and Pukki smashed the rebound over the top. United then begamn to gather some momentum and on 76 minutes came close themselves as Leonard headed wide from Norwood’s corner.

A minute later Norwood, who was named as Man of the Match, again supplied a cross and this time it was Egan who missed by inches with Krul well beaten. With 7 minutes remaining ever busy Sharp found some space in the box via Basham’s pass but despite the efforts from Clarke, with Krul committed the City defence scrambled clear.

With 90 minutes up the fourth official signalled three minutes of stoppage time and it was during these final frantic minutes that United won the match. With the clock ticking Basham desperately produced a telling deep cross onto the far post. McGoldrick skilfully nudged the ball back across goal and virtually on the goal-line SHARP raced in to ease the ball home.

In last season’s Lane encounter, Norwich had escaped with a 1-0 victory but were dammed by the home support for continuously waste time for the majority of the match. At 1-1 the game wasn’t much different as the visitors purposely took time at taking set-pieces and a throwing.

The home support was naturally delighted to score a last-gasp winner, reminding us of the days under Neil Warnock. Annoyed by City’s tactics the hosts chanted a family friendly song;

Slow it down, slow it down Sheff United,
Slow it down, slow it down, I say!
Slow it down, slow it down Sheff United,
Slow it down, slow it down, I say!
Playing football the Norwich way!

There was a massive cheer when the referee blew up for full time.

Sheffield United: Henderson, Stevens, Fleck, O’Connell, Basham, Clarke, Sharp (Stearman 90), Woodburn (Leonard 45) Egan, Norwood, Freeman (McGoldrick 61). Unused: Lundstram, Stearman, Lafferty, Moore, Lavery.

Norwich City: Krul, Marshall, Leitner (Stiepermann 78), Rhodes, Lewis, Klose, Trybull, Pukki (Srbeny 87), Hernandez, Tettey (Godfrey 90) Hanley. Unused: Zimmermann, McGovern, Thompson, Aarons.