Date: 21st November 2009 at 9:42pm
Written by:

Henri Camara netted a decisive solitary goal on his full debut at Bramall Lane today, but it was Mark Bunn who was the hero of the hour.

Bunn saved magnificently from George Boyd’s penalty, after Andrew Davies had brought down Craig Mackail-Smith in the area.

Kevin Blackwell made four changes to the side that claimed a point at Oakwell, Chris Morgan regained the captain’s armband at the expense of Darius Henderson who swapped places on the suspension step. Lee Williamson and goalscorer Camara were handed their first start whilst Mark Bunn deputised for the injured Bennett.

It was clear from the off that United had changed from their one dimensional style, to a less direct approach. The first ten minutes showed encouraging signs, with a plethora of crosses coming in from the byline. Kyle Walker looked to get forward at every opportunity and appealed for a penalty on nine minutes, but the referee decided against it, and fortunately for United didn’t brandish a yellow card to the full-back.

Peterborough spent the majority on the back foot but shot on sight when they got chance, without troubling Bunn in the Blades goal. United were awarded a free-kick soon after on the edge of Posh’s area, this time Camara’s theatrics reaping the rewards for the home side.

Quinn’s deflected header resulted in a corner that Ward pulled back for Evans to strike against the underside of the crossbar.

The pacey Camara broke free shortly before half-time after a delightful move on the break, but it was eventually snuffed out by Gabriel Zakuani.

The goal finally arrived on 42 minutes, and what a delight it was. Bunn collected a cross before rolling out to Davies, whose measured ball to the right found Jamie Ward. The winger chested down for Walker before spinning his man and receiving the return pass and crossing for Evans. Goalkeeper Joe Lewis saved with his legs but Henri Camara pounced to poach from five yards.

The referee’s whistle brought an end to proceedings and any attacking prowess that the Blades had.

Posh’s confidence began to grow in the second half, and the Blades were soon on the back-foot. McLean had an effort saved by Bunn, before Mackail-Smith was guilty of wasting two opportunities.

The two combined soon after and the latter drew four Blades defenders out of the game before he was felled by Davies, handing Mark Cooper’s men a golden chance.

The impressive George Boyd stepped up but Mark Bunn threw himself to the left to keep out the spot-kick.

The visitors had the lion’s share of possession but created little, whilst United were unable to get hold of the ball. When they eventually did a marvellous chance was wasted by a James Harper air-kick.

Keith Treacy was brought down in injury time, but the referee waved away the protests before Batt’s snapshot trickled just wide after Bunn had slipped in his goalmouth.

It was a welcome victory for the Blades, but far from convincing against much weaker opposition who are sure to struggle this year.

Bunn, Walker, Morgan, Davies, Kilgallon, Ward (Reid), Williamson (France), Harper, Quinn, Evans, Camara (Treacy).

Unused subs: Geary, Fortune, Little, Taylor.


Your Comment